The Daily Grace
Blushing Beauty: How to Choose the Right Blush for Your Skin Tone
Do you have beautiful brown skin? If so, you know that a touch of blush can elevate your look and add that radiant glow to your complexion.Blush can brighten your face and give your skin a healthy appearance any time of year and at any age. It’s even said that wearing a touch of blush can add a bit of youth.
But with so many shades and options available, how do you choose the perfect blush that complements your rich skin tone? Don't fret; we're here to help you navigate the world of blush and unlock the secrets to achieving that perfect flush for your gorgeous melanin-rich complexion.
Understanding Your Undertone Before diving into the world of blush, it's crucial to understand your undertone. Here are some simple ways to determine your undertone:
- Cheek Test: Gently pinch your cheeks for around 5 minutes. The color that naturally appears is a fantastic indicator of your ideal blush shade.
- White Garment Test: Try on a white t-shirt. If you look better in white then you likely have cool undertones. If you look better in cream or ivory then you probably have warm toned skin and if you look ok in both then you're neutral and go either way.
- Vein Examination: Take a close look at the veins on your neck, face, or wrist. If they appear bluish or purplish, you have cool undertones. If they lean towards green, your undertones are warm.
Now that you've identified your skin tone, let's explore the blush colors that will enhance your complexion:
- Orange or Red/Orange: These shades will give your skin a vibrant, sun-kissed appearance.
- Tangerine: A playful and lighthearted blush that complements everyone and adds a warm burst of color.
- Chocolate Brown: Ideal for contouring or adding a touch of drama to any blush shade.
- Blueish Pinks and Reds: Cool undertones pair harmoniously with these shades, providing a fresh, rosy look.
- Plum or Soft Purple: When applied correctly, plum blush can add depth and drama to your overall look.
- Apricot: A soft and captivating choice for cool undertones.
- Neutral Undertones: With a neutral undertone, you have the freedom to rock any shade, whether warm or cool—it's all about your personal preference.
Blush Shades for Your Skin Tone
Let's factor in your skin tone when selecting the perfect blush:
Deep Skin Tones:
- Brick Red: This terracotta shade will make your complexion stand out.
- Try Maréna Beauté Blush Tarou in Terra Rouge or Mora Cosmetics try Satin Sheen Multi Stick in Jessie’s Girl
- Berry or Bright True Red: An excellent choice for transitioning from a daytime look to a nighttime stunner. Try Marie Hunter Silk Blush in Pizazz
- Plum: A versatile, dramatic option. Try Dehiya - Lip + Cheek Tint in warrior
- Tangerine: A fun, lighthearted blush of your dreams. And looks good on everyone. It adds a nice warm pop of color
Chocolate Brown: Can be used to contour or add a bit of drama along with any color. Try Maréna Beauté Blush Tarrou in Chocolat
Medium Skin Tones with Warm or Neutral Undertones:
- Warm Peach: This shade will make your skin look glowy and warm. It will brighten up your skin just the right amount. Try Maréna Beauté Blush Tarrou in Marron Peach.
- Rose: Go with a rose blush if you’re looking for a delicate, authentic flush. This color can be an everyday blush. (Maréna Beauté Blush Tarrou in Cashmere Rose) or Bronze or Copper -It can even double as contour--the best of both worlds! These shades are ideal adding warmth and brightness to your face. Try Marie Hunter Silk Blush in Excessive.
- Bronze or Copper: Perfect for adding warmth and luminosity to your complexion.
Medium Brown Skin Tones with Cool Undertones:
Plum or Soft Purple: If you’re using plum blush, blend it in with the rest of your makeup. When worn correctly, plum can add drama to your look. Try Ere Perez Carrot Colour Pot in Hey, or Mora Cosmetics Satin Sheen Multi Stick in Hyped.
- Apricot: Soft enough that it doesn’t compete with the rest of your makeup but bold enough to draw attention to how beautiful your blush looks. Try Ere Perez Carrot Colour Pot in Healthy or Harmony.
- Berry: Go bright with your blush on a medium skin tone. You can layer on the drama with a deeper berry or go light for a relaxed, easy look. Try Ere Perez Carrot Colour Pot in Holy
Fair or Light Skin Tones:
Baby Pink: This shade actually comes out naturally for those with fair skin, so if you’re looking for an authentically flushed look, this is an excellent option. Try Maréna Beauté Blush Tarrou in Garmi.
Peach: Flatters most skin tones. If you want something a bit more vibrant and bold. If you have yellow undertones, this will be exceptionally flattering (though pretty much anyone can pull it off!). Try Marie Hunter Silk Blush in Simmer, or Mora Cosmetics Satin Sheen Multi Stick in Minxy.
Powder, Cream, and Tint The formula you choose should align with your skin type and preference.
Powder: Best for oily skin, offering a matte finish.
Cream: Suitable for all skin types, particularly during dry spells or in the winter. Even if you have oily skin, you can use cream blush for a rosy glow.
Tint: Great for all skin types, known for their long-lasting staying power, even during sports or exercise.
Matte or Sparkle:
Matte: Provides a subtle, natural finish.
Sparkle: Adds a touch of glam and shimmer.
Remember, no matter which blush you choose, it's crucial to start with a clean and healthy canvas of skin. Your skincare routine lays the foundation for your radiant complexion.
Now that you've armed yourself with the knowledge of undertones, skin tones, and blush formulas, you're ready to embrace that healthy glow that perfectly complements your stunning melanin-rich skin. So go ahead, select your blush, and let your inner beauty shine through!